Historic Home Renovation & Restoration Contractor in Maryland
James R. Irvine Construction general contractors specialize in authentic historic home restoration and renovation to older structures and stone homes. Our extensive experience developed as historic home contractors throughout central Maryland and Southern Pennsylvania is invaluable. We understand the importance of restoring and renovating old historic homes, including stone home renovation, with attention to every historic detail.
Historic Home Restoration Consultation
To learn more or set up a no cost initial consultation for your historic home renovation or stone home restoration call James R. Irvine Construction Inc. at (301) 271-3272. We serve Frederick County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Carroll County, Baltimore County, Maryland, Southern Pennsylvania and more!
Read our Blog for more information regarding Historic Home Renovations!
- Can I Modernize My Historic Home’s Siding?
- 5 Tips for Choosing the Right Historical Renovation Contractor
- Historic Designation: What It Means for Your Home
- 3 Important Things To Consider When Renovating a Historic Home
- Best Flooring Types for Historic Renovation Kitchens
- Is Replacing your Historic Home’s Windows Worth it?
- Keep Your Historic Home Cool This Summer
- Make your Old Home More Energy Efficient
- 6 Historic Home Front Door Designs That Make A Statement
- Tax Credits for Interior Renovations on your Historical Home
- Tax Credits for Restoring Historic Homes in Maryland
- 3 Home Improvement & Remodeling Ideas That Increase Your Historic Home’s Value
- Home Improvement & Remodeling Ideas That Increase Your Historic Home’s Value
- Historic Home Purchase Evaluation
Click on image of historic homes to get a larger picture
1. Renovation and addition to circa 1850 stone and frame farmhouse near New Market Maryland
A partial renovation to existing house and construction of large 3 story addition consisting of great room, kitchen, 3 bedrooms including master suite.
2. Renovation and addition to circa 1815 log and frame farmhouse in Baltimore County, Maryland
A total home renovation with addition. Interior and exterior renovations include redesign of interior space, structural repair, roof replacement, new windows / exterior doors, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, floor radiant heat, custom made siding and millwork. New addition in keeping with style of home for new kitchen, bathroom and laundry.
3. Stone Home Reconstruction in Franklin County, Pennsylvania
A total reconstruction of an circa 1816 Pennsylvania stone farmhouse. The existing stone home, beyond renovation, was photographed, studied and carefully demolished. It was then rebuilt in the same location re-using the stone with all corner and other detail stones re-laid in their exact locations. All mill work such as casing, stairs, balustrade, mantels and other details were reproduced, to the original profiles, using custom made cutters or using hand tools from the period.
Antique flooring and wood structural beams were located from other structures and recycled using the original construction methods and techniques. This project was featured in several magazines and was presented by James R. Irvine construction at a Frederick County MD Historical Society workshop on maintaining and restoring old houses as a case study. After completion an award was presented to the owners by the local Pennsylvania Historical Society for completing “The most authentic whole house restoration“.
4. Total renovation of a 6,000 s/f circa 1910 historic home in Hancock, Maryland
Recognized by the Maryland Historic Trust as a significant example of example of early 20th century Colonial Revival Architectural style. Exterior renovations included: repair and restoration of wood columns, new roof, windows and extensive masonry repair and repointing. Interior renovations included: removal of servants stairs and construction of elevator, total replacement of electrical and plumbing systems, new state of the art geothermal HVAC system, new kitchen and new bathrooms. All existing woodwork features reproduced to original profiles.
5. Historic Construction in Johnsville, Maryland
Construction of a historically accurate addition of 1,800 s/f to a stone farmhouse which is a registered landmark of Frederick County.
6. Historic stone home renovation and addition in Knoxville, Maryland
A Design/Build total renovation and addition to a historic home, circa 1860. Addition with arched breezeway was designed to connect the home to the renovated smoke house. Also included is a new two story garage designed to be in keeping with the historic vintage of the home.
7. Bed and Breakfast Inn renovation in Buckeystown, Maryland
Exterior renovation of a historic 1897 Inn. Extensive repair to framework, roof, siding, cornice, columns, moldings, shutters and porches with all original features and millwork reproduced to original profiles. All detail work painted to original color palette scheme.
8. Stone Home Renovation in Mount Airy, Maryland
An interior and exterior Design/Build renovation of a Maryland stone manor house and construction of out buildings. The scope of work included structural support of weakened summer beams, new HVAC, electrical, installation of architecturally correct windows, reconstruction of fully operable shutters and hardware, new full length porch, reconstructed period cabinetry, mantels, wainscoting and restoration of other details throughout.
9. Historic Renovation in Union Bridge, Maryland
A Design/Build great room addition with historically correct design and details to a circa 1790 home.
10. Historic Renovation in Gaithersburg, Maryland
A Design/Build second floor addition and extensive interior renovations to a circa 1800 home in the historic preservation district.
11. Historic Home Renovation in Woodsboro, Maryland
A Design/Build of a total historic home renovation circa late 1700’s. Scope of work included; new second story addition, renovation or replacement of all interior and exterior space and finishes, new mechanical and electrical systems, new historically correct windows throughout, relocated stairs, structural repair, new modern country style kitchen and new bathrooms.
12. Historic Home Renovation and Addition in Mount Airy, Maryland
A Design/Build renovation and addition to an early 1900’s home. Scope of work included; new custom kitchen, family room, breakfast area, bathroom, laundry area and separate office.
13. Historic Home Restoration in Freeland, Maryland
A total renovation of a mid 1700’s home with large addition consisting of Master suite, great room, new bathrooms and kitchen.